[pskmail] Pskmail Client on Android news - Bluetooth Audio Interface = no more cables!!!

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 12:46:44 +1100

I have to share that one:  I can now link my Android phone to my radio via a
Bluetooth adapter, removing the need for an audio interface.

This allows a "no wire" connection between the phone running the Pskmail
client for Android and the radio (imagine sitting next to the fire drinking
a nice glass of champagne while checking the weather over Pskmail...).

More seriously, this resolves an issue with these touch devices as they are
sensitive to RF.

In my case, using the NON-isolated audio interface , it meant that if I
touched the screen during TX it either would not respond or go crazy.

I have not tried an isolated interface but the Bluetooth solution is
significantly more elegant.

These "handsfree kits" come with a rechargeable battery which last 8 to 10
hours connected and need a simple USB port for recharging. At less than 100g
and 11 x 5 x 1.7 cm (4.5 x 2 x 2/3 inches) it is very light and not bulky.
Plus the clip should fit nicely on the FT-817. At around $30 delivered from
"that auction site" it's not going to break the bank.

The software is not ready for issue yet as I need more testing, and I want
to build a simple cable from the unit to the FT-817 so I can just plug it
in. More on this later.

I also need to verrify that the RF from the HF radio does not interfere with
the Bluetooth RX & TX. I would be really surprised it would since Bluetooth
is in the 2.4Ghz band, but this is RF...

I think this is an exiting additional feature. And with these Android
tablets at $100 without GPS/ $150 with GPS this is opening a nice option for
mobile and portable operations as most offer Bluetooth as standard.

Thanks to David for suggesting this.

Stay tuned.

73, John