[pskmail] Re: PSKmailservers in the Pacific

  • From: Christian Wagner <wagnerschristian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:33:45 -0500

Hi All,
thanks for your input.

For us right now PACTOR is out of the question- one modem is worth
more than a month of cruising. And right now this is where our
priorities are.

Since when is e-mail a mission critical emergency device?
On board we have an EPIRB in the "abandon ship bag" along with a hand
operated watermaker along with other stuff. Our liferaft is in good
order. I think we can sustain a lengthy period of time on the ocean
even when we loose the ship- lets hope not.
If the electronics fail, no email system PACTOR or not will give us
the means to call for help.

On the other hand if the laptop breaks down you might still be able to
call for help via normal SSB. Right now I'm looking into "unlocking"
my Icom 706 MK2G to be able to broadcast on marine frequencies with a
lot more professional listeners around. I know it is not exactly
legal, but to have this ability will give me just a bit of extra
insurance. And in case of an emergency I don't think the governments
will care on which frequency you called.

As mentioned before, we crossed the Atlantic with no means of long
distance communication (the Icom didn't tune the antenna at all back
then) and we felt fine. In case of an emergency we would have had our
EPIRB.
Cheers, Christian