[pskmail] PSKmail in andLinux?

  • From: "sv1uy" <sv1uy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:04:18 +0300

Hi all,

Has anyone seen andLinux? It is a minimal Linux distribution baased on
XUBUNTU 7.04 and it actually runs in an Windows2000/2003/XP OS with an
Xfce panel.

Here is a short description:

Introduction
------------

andLinux is a complete Linux system designed for developing applications
and runs seemlessly in Windows 2000 based systems (2000, XP, 2003). The
latest version is PreBeta (named PreBeta only due to its lack of
installer). This project was started for Dynamism for the GP2X community,
but its userbase far exceeds its original design. The GP2X community will
always be the heart of andLinux, even though it is branching into a much
larger scene. andLinux is free and will remain so, but donations are
greatly needed.

andLinux uses CoLinux as its core which is confusing for many people.
CoLinux is a port of the Linux kernel to Windows. Although this technology
is like VMware or Virtual PC, CoLinux differs itself by being more of a
merger of Windows and the Linux kernel (Linux) and not an emulated PC,
making it more efficient.

andLinux is not just for development and runs almost all Linux
applications without modification.

Requirements
------------
    * Windows 2000/XP/2003 or higher
    * 128 MB of free RAM (64 MB possible, by editing settings_static.txt)
    * 4 GB available hard drive space
    * a good internet connection, to be able to install further
      applications.
    * some basic Linux skills to proceed once installed (working with
      Synaptic and Xfce, unless you just want to see Firefox under Linux).
      A good way to get the needed skills for the Linux noob is to fiddle a
      bit with a Xubuntu live-CD.

What you will get
-----------------
You will get:

    * a fully functional Linux system, however without the usual desktop
      (you already have got one from Windows)
    * a second Xfce panel e.g. at the top of your Windows desktop, from
      which you can start Linux applications.
    * Linux applications and Windows applications can be used simultaneously
      and you can cut and paste text between them.
    * Synaptic to install further applications.

You will NOT get:
-----------------
    * another desktop
    * the bench of applications that usually ship with Linux distributions
      (you have to fetch whatever you want)
    * a printer driver
    * trouble with further drivers ;-)

I think that this can make PSKmail even more popular since one does not
have to sacrifice his/her Windows 2000/2003/XP Laptop. Remember 90% of
users still use XP or some kind of Windows PC. I will try to install
PSKmail, unless someone else beats me to it, this summer (no promises
since it is like an oven here in Athens at the moment and I have no desire
to stay in front of my PC for very long) before my holidays and see how
far I can get with my FT-817, 12 inch screen laptop and PSKmail.

If anyone is interested the URL is http://www.andlinux.org

---
73 de Demetre Valaris - SV1UY
e-mail: sv1uy@xxxxxxxxxxx