[pskmail] Re: PSKmail and TransArctic expedition

  • From: Олег К <kazz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:23:14 +0300

Per, the disk space is enough, there is a luck of RAM instead. The virtual
memory isn't a problem, but seems not to be a solution here. I have a bit
experience to run VMware under XP on my desktop and will try to do that in the
case if I could upgrade the RAM.

APRS PSK31: the missing of ACKs is unpleasant thing but not so much. Of course,
it's an advantage of PSKmail system, but local air conditions could prevent me
catching ACKs even if they are sent by a server. More serious subject - is
handling the position updates on the server side manually. It seems to be
unproductive. So, I'm waiting for a while for a proper solution here. Simple
java GUI could be such a thing for starting. Rein, from my opinion, the
absolutely necessary points are 1, 2, 3; desirable points are 4, 5, 6.

Concerning GPS. Currently I use GPS "coupler" -  Franson GpsGate, which catches
NMEA traffic from one real serial (or usb) port and output it to several
virtual serial ports. So, many applications can use NMEA data from one GPS.

Modem speed. I assumed PSK31 only because it exists in current APRS win
software. In the case of using of fldigi as a front-end, I would follow to
recommendations of  PSKmail sysops. We can test several speeds and choose an
appropriate one.

I'm afraid that effectiveness of 2,5m GP on 40m is not much. May be it'll be
interesting to try it during the expedition. The 20m is quite good but 30m has
a more "crystal" air. So, I expect to try 30m and 20m as a working variant.

I'm leaving Moscow for the expedition at the end of March. Depending on Most
High, the journey can take up to 3 months: 1,5 to North Pole and 1,5 after.

Oleg