[pskmail] PSKmail and MIL-STD-188-110A

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:56:18 +0100

Hi all,

I have a connect between RFSM2400 and PSKmail going here and I can
transmit from the pskmail gui (testing the client). I transmit at the
moment in 2000 bps using short interleaver (1.2 seconds).

I have a slight problem with reception and I am discussing that with
Dmitry. Hope its just an error on my part. But, this looks really
promising!

As soon as I have a complete system going I can include RFSM2400 on the
live cd (Dmitry has allowed that). I can then release that for both
server and client.

Using this MIL-STD for PSKmail does come with a few issues. US hams
should probably not use this now as the slowest available speed at the
moment is 500 bps (at least not on hf). The MIL-STD works within the
range 75-2400 bps so we could ask Dmitry to implement 300 bps or slower.
US hams could use 300 bps when connecting to any server as the MIL-STD
supports autobaud on receive.

Also, this is a wide mode with 2,4 kHz for ham rigs and 3 kHz for
commercial rigs. Its probably not the best mode for QRP.

Computer specs will also have to be pretty good, at least P-III 600 MHz.
At the moment its running under wine so its not a native application,
that could mean that a P3-600 may not be enough ? I run it on an an
Athlon 1900+ and I have a lot of other applications going at the same
time without problems (including Nasa TV with the ongoing spacewalk).