[pskmail] Re: Next conference, pre planning session

  • From: "Eddie Leighton (ZS6BNE)" <zs6bne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:14:53 +0200

Hi John,

I was recently quite new to Linux and although I have an IT background , I needed a little guidance in the beginning. Many thanks to Per and Rein who were there when I just needed a small pointer to continue. I met them via the PSKMail group on Facebook.

Now that I know a little about Linux , the server is actually extremely easy to install.

I started with Puppy 511 , Ubuntu 11.04 and now constantly use Linux Mint 11.

All it requires are a few little steps. Much of the help is on the PSKMail website but in most cases with hams , when all else fails , read the manual. I'm certainly guilty of that :O)

73 Eddie ZS6BNE

On 23/09/2011 22:53, John Douyere wrote:
In regards to the Pskmail conference I would like to put only one point forward:

We do not have enough servers in the Pacific area.

I have spend many hours helping other OMs trying and setting up servers, with some far and way from here.

Although it was a pleasure to do so, I am convinced that that time would have been better spend explaining how to use Pskmail rather than helping with installing Linux on their machines.

At the end of the day, in my case, the Linux install represents the great great majority of the time spend with the new Pskmail stations and I believe is THE key impediment to the addition of new servers is this region.

Again this week I have spent several hours (unsuccessfully) helping an OM, who has upgraded his server's machine, reinstall Puppy Linux on his new machine for a dual boot.

It creates a feeling of "why does it has to be so hard?" in the new users when it should be a simple download and configure exercise.

So that's my only request for the conference: since we already have a good framework in the Java client for connected exchanges can we add the mail and web services (at least the basic ones). We would then have a nice new tab: "Server".

This will fit nicely in the one stop shop concept of the modem integration.

73, John

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 6:50 AM, Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi all,

    I think it would be a good idea if we could organize an online
    planning
    session before the next conference. I suppose one or perhaps a few
    skype
    sessions should do it. Also, if you have topics you think we should
    cover then why not just reply here and I'll add it to a common
    document.