[pskmail] Re: New to PSKmail

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:32:05 +0200

Hi Goody,

Comments below...

Hello Rein,

> I'd be happy to write some documentation; I do this at work often and
> usually receive compliments.  For some odd reason I tend to enjoy it.
> This isn't intended to be a criticism, however the documentation on the
> website despite being good and plentiful seems a bit disjointed, like
> the information needs to be pulled together in a different fashion to
> make it flow better for a new user.  Would you prefer suggested updates
> based on the existing material or entirely new content?  My first
> inclination is to write something that "fits" in between the Overview
> for Beginners and the Quick Start guide.  The Quick Start guide itself
> could use more explanations of the settings I think.  Anyways, I'm at
> your and the PSKmail community's service :-)

 I think the question should be answered by the user community, I know
too much :) Anybody have any input on this?

> One other technical question that I'm sure has been asked and I
> hesitate to bring up, is anyone thinking of a native Windows client?
> Java may be a good choice for this as it's cross-platform.  It's good
> that a VMware method has been documented, though many folks will shy
> away from the perceived complexity of a VMware / live CD or native
> Linux installation.  I'd volunteer for development of a Windows client,
> but right now I have my hands full with getting a dedicated client
> going, potentially a server, and I'm sure there's plenty to do in
> documentation at the moment.

Yes, this question has been asked. I have provided a puppy version of the
client
which runs on (modern) windows machines, and needs zero installation.
Same for the pskmail_puppy version which you might try on your slow machine...
That is all I can do at the moment.
I know UT1HZM is working on a windows port, he already has some of the
APRS stuff working. There are others who have asked for a detailed
description as a basis for porting. I am willing to do a writeup, but I have
also been asked by several magazines to write articles, which is important for
the proliferation of the system.

73, Rein PA0R

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com