[pskmail] New beta for pskmail_puppy live CD (8)

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aprpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:52:50 +0200

Hi all,

there is new puppy beta in
http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pub/linux/ham/pskmail/puppy

Beta 8 now includes a thin email client called 'sylpheed' which is compatible
with
pskmail.

Just burn the .iso file to a CD and boot.  On my 192 MB Compaq M700 there is
7 MB left for data, and should be enough for most cases :)

As I have some problems with the remastering software the mail client has to be
configured
before first use, a proper dialogue will ask the right questions.

Mailbox name = Mailfolder.
Account = pskmail
Full name = your name
Mail address = your return mail address
Organisation = pskmail
Protocol = none (local)
SMTP server = localhost

Then set in the Common Preferences:
* Incorporate from local spool
Spool path = /root/mail/Inbox

Now the client will incorporate the mail you get via pskmail.

Still working on binding outgoing mail; use the 'new' button in pskmail for
that for now...

And you can find a nice icon in /usr/share/midi-icons (email48).

During shutdown puppy asks where to put the data, which will be loaded at next
boot time.

I have used the 'Setup->Puppu universal installer' to put the whole thing onto
a USB stick.
The smallest I could buy was 512 MB and it cost 10$.
It took me 5 minutes to generate the image on the stick, which has 134 MB left
for other stuff
after I saved the whole config to it.

Booting from the stick takes 90 seconds, shutdown 30 seconds.

The image contains pskmail version 0.5.1 and fldigi-1.37S. If there are no
severe problems
I plan to officially release this into the wild soon...

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com