[pskmail] Re: Making Progress!

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:10:55 +0200

> Yes! This solved the problem!

Good.

> Now to connect to someone!
> I will be trying WB5CON, N5ALE, and VE7SUN.
> I understand the radio's dial frequency should be set 1khz below the
> published center frequency.

Listen to the beacons in the first 0-4 minutes of every hour.
You will see the exact frequency on the waterfall.
You need to be +- 20Hz from the center frequency of the signal in order to
decode efficiently.
Actually I have heard WB5CON here in Europe (only once, for 4 hours), and
that is some 9000 km (5500 miles). 30m is an amazing band. It also helps to use
a narrow filter in the RX.
If you can hear the beacons, try sending a ping (ctrl-P), if the server can
hear you
it will send an answer. By pinging every 10 Hz you can even find a silent
server...
WB5CON has a log page on the web, there you can see if/how you are being
received!
We regularly see UT1HZM on PI4TUE and SM0RWO, so distance is not really an
issue during daytime on 30.

If all that does not help, build your own server and drive around it,
that is the best way to get acquainted with the technology:) Fred can tell you
a lot about how
easy all this really is...

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com