[pskmail] Live server CD

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 15:51:19 +0100

I have tested the CD on the Dell desktop, and most of the problems are gone.
The Compaq laptop must have resource problems...

What is left:

* DrakClock cannot set the time zone, also not via Mandrake Control Center.
* sshd is not installed ? Needed for headless operation.

I can control the server via Xvnc:

On the server I do 'vncserver :70', and set passwork to 'pskmail'
Then I can control the server from any of my machines on the LAN with
'vncviewer <server ip address>:70'
See attached picture where you can see the Mandrake Live CD running on a UBUNTU
desktop...

I have written a small script (saveit.pl)  which writes most necessary data to
a file pskmailperm.tar.gz in the home directory, including itself so you can
change it if yo want... and a networking config script called 'netconfig.pl'.
Copy these to your home directory...
Before stopping the server you do './saveit' and copy the resulting
pskmailperm.tar.gz file to any external medium you may want to use. I tried a
floppy, a USB stick an external hard drive, and an old Camera memory card (8MB
:)

When starting the server you first copy the pskmailperm.tar.gz file to your
home directory, then do 'tar zxvf pskmailperm.tar.gz'.  You will now find
another script called netconfig.pl.
Before using it for the first time you have to edit the ip number, router
default gw and the dns server name.
You then run it as root with ./netconfig.pl, and your network connection is
done.
You also have to edit the pskmailrc.pl file (as user!).
After doing this use ./saveit (as user) to perm the server config and the
networking data to your external storage device...

For the newbies:
You can become root by using su <enter> pskmail.
And user again by typing exit.

Hope this helps,

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com