[pskmail] Re: Lightweight, backpack "Pskmailing"

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:31:19 +0100

fre 2011-02-11 klockan 05:20 -0500 skrev Larry Levesque:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 06:18:17AM +0100, Per Crusefalk wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Sounds like a nice setup. I am not very fond of the g5rv but thats just
> > me. I guess if its properly fed then it should be fine.
> >
> > > Maybe you guys can see better solutions. It would have been a great to
> > > have a full Pskmail in my Android phone for that. Java is part of
> > > Android so that should be workable but Fldigi is not available on that
> > > platform.
> >
> > Well, actually fldigi has been ported to java by Franz-Josef Maas
> > (DB3CF). It has a simple UI for testing but runs fine. I have been
> > meaning to get an android phone and make it run under dalvik (the
> > android java runtime) but I still lack a phone to test on.
> >
> > It will require some effort to get it to look nice but it does run in
> > java so the worst should be done already...
> >
> > 73 de Per
> > SM0RWO
> >

> And where would we find such a gem??

On a CD here on my desk...
It all started when we figured it would be nice to have the modem part
included in the pskmail client. Franz-Josef did a very nice job of
porting the necessary classes to java, he also built a simple user
interface for testing. I have attached an image of that, nothing much to
see there but it just shows that it does run on java and it works.

At a later stage we decided not to include it anyway as we would then
not benefit from all the hard work done by the fldigi group. But, it
would make a very nice addition to an android phone. With this mornings
announcement from Nokia I will immediately ditch my phone and get an
android device so I would like to see this there as well.

73 de Per
SM0RWO