[pskmail] Re: Lightweight, backpack "Pskmailing"

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:01:54 +0100 (CET)

If the alsamixer does not work out of the box on your laptop,
you could try Setup->ALSA sound wizard. It searches for all
sound cards on your machine, and tries to install the driver.
If you can't get that to work, you could use one of those
cheap USB headphone devices, they cost Euro 10 here.
You can find out the name of your card by doing 'lspci' in a console.

For the wifi, if you cannot find a linux driver you use the ndiswrapper
together with the windows driver.
Problem is that the windows drivers are closed source, so it is
impossible to write a driver for all obscure hardware around...
That is why the ndiswrapper was developed, so you can use the
closed source windows driver.
BTW, that works on puppy as well....

73,

Rein EA/PA0R/M

The alsamixer I tried.

I also installed Ubuntu 10.1. do you have any suggestion for the wireless??
I cant find any drivers for the pressario CQ56-124LA laptop.
Thanks
Karel

2011/2/12 Rein Couperus <[rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx]>

 For sound setup in the puppy CD: do alsamixer in a terminal
 just follow the instructions... if nothing works, a simple USB headphone
device will...

 Puppy has a phantastic wifi setup program:
 Setup->Internet connection wizard

 Rein EA/PA0R/M

 ==========

 Hello Rein thanks for the short instructions.
 I tried the live cd's first. (latest versions)
 I found the fligi and pskmail files in the binaries. (thanks Per)
 Problem with the live CD is the configurations of sound devices,also wifi
won´t work.
 I don´t know what the server is doing. I tried to upload a mail via the
server, but did not get it through.
 It would be nice to have flow diagram of the handling by server.
 I just dont understand yet the steno of linux terminal.
 If I have more specific questions. I will be back. It would be nice to have a
working PSKmail server in Latin America.
 I feel quite lonely in this respect.
 73
 Karel

 2011/2/12 Rein Couperus <[[rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx]]>

  Hi Karel,

  first of all, which live CD? there are several. Pse specifics....

  To install a server on UBUNTU, do the following:
  * Connect to the internet
  * Install fldigi
  * Download pskmail_server-1.0.32.tar.gz from
[[http://hermes.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pskmail]]
  * In a terminal do tar zxvf pskmail_server.tar.gz
  * cd pskmail_server-1.0.32
  * sudo ./INSTALL
  * answer yes to all questions
  * start fldigi
  * start pskmail_server in a terminal

  The server files are in /usr/local/share/pskmail_server

  To install a client on linux or windows,

  * connect to internet
  * install
  * download the installer of jPSKmail-0.8.5 for linux or windows
  * in linux, make installer executable
  * run installer
  * start fldigi
  * start jPSKmail

  73,

  Rein EA/PA0R/M

 Hello all,
  Rein or Per, why is there no fldigi on the puppy live CD?
  I started it and is a nice puppy CD but no PSKmail, no FLDIGI.

  Returning to my earlier mail., questions. I need a step tp step instruction
on how to install PSKmail client en the PSK mail server on UBUNTU 10.1
  See below. I know how to start the terminal but the setup line respond that
it cant find the files or dirs.
  I have the installable save on my disk but cant with the terminal cannot find
them. Were should I put the installables to be installes in what dir or
whatever.

  Thanks
  Karel

  2011/2/11 karel Fassotte <[[[karel.fassotte@xxxxxxxxx]]]>

  Hello I am trying to setup pskmail server in Ubuntu, but I dont know where to
put the installable and how to execute the installation.
  I dont know anything of Linux.  Manuals step by step I need.
  When I try to start installation with a terminal session. I says It cant find
the files.
  The files are now in the download dir.
  Please some help.

  Another questions. I have a live CD that installes the server but when a try
to run a live cd client it installes the server not the client.
  What to do?

  73
  Karel
  HC1AKP

  2011/2/11 Per Crusefalk <[[[per@xxxxxxxxxxxx]]]>

  fre 2011-02-11 klockan 05:20 -0500 skrev Larry Levesque:

  > On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 06:18:17AM +0100, Per Crusefalk wrote:
  > > Hi John,
  > >
  > > Sounds like a nice setup. I am not very fond of the g5rv but thats just
  > > me. I guess if its properly fed then it should be fine.
  > >
  > > > Maybe you guys can see better solutions. It would have been a great to
  > > > have a full Pskmail in my Android phone for that. Java is part of
  > > > Android so that should be workable but Fldigi is not available on that
  > > > platform.
  > >
  > > Well, actually fldigi has been ported to java by Franz-Josef Maas
  > > (DB3CF). It has a simple UI for testing but runs fine. I have been
  > > meaning to get an android phone and make it run under dalvik (the
  > > android java runtime) but I still lack a phone to test on.
  > >
  > > It will require some effort to get it to look nice but it does run in
  > > java so the worst should be done already...
  > >
  > > 73 de Per
  > > SM0RWO
  > >

  > And where would we find such a gem??

  On a CD here on my desk...
  It all started when we figured it would be nice to have the modem part
  included in the pskmail client. Franz-Josef did a very nice job of
  porting the necessary classes to java, he also built a simple user
  interface for testing. I have attached an image of that, nothing much to
  see there but it just shows that it does run on java and it works.

  At a later stage we decided not to include it anyway as we would then
  not benefit from all the hard work done by the fldigi group. But, it
  would make a very nice addition to an android phone. With this mornings
  announcement from Nokia I will immediately ditch my phone and get an
  android device so I would like to see this there as well.

  73 de Per
  SM0RWO