[pskmail] Re: KB2PNM server and some Ideas about the network

  • From: Robert Krasowski <rkrasowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 06:44:13 -0700 (PDT)

I am back home and have some time to "play" with PSK Mail.

Answering Terry's questions:
Beacon is on 0, 1,2,3,4 minutes of hour.

Dipol is oriented radiating  W-E ( I am aiming for  Atlantic - sailers)
I have just checked log from last night and decoded beacon of WB5RFQ
also signal  from VE7CUS
Interestingly can not copy and paste from fldigi?? strange.

Now, just some ideas:

1/ The most frustrating scenario for end user (have been an end user many times
using Winlink from boat) , the most frustrating in not knowing which server to
call, what frequency, since we talking about limited numbers of US PSKMAil
servers, and we all are connected via internet , I thing we all should be on
one "CQ" frequency. Calling "user" station should call "CQ PSKMAil" and all
servers should respond to this call. Each of us (servers) should have time slot
assign for answer to CQ PSKMAil call, let's say Server1 answer 1-2 seconds
after receiving a call from user, Server2 answer 3-4sec after receiving call
from user Server3 - 5-6 seconds etc. Servers that respond are the one that hear
the station, software at the end user side analize which Server was "the best"
and directly call that server with possibility of changing frequency to
"working frequency"  -  different? for different servers, User - Server do what
they need to do and everything come
 back to" Listening mode".

Benefits of this teoretical scenario:
User does not have to know call signs, location, frequency of all servers,
doesn't have to worry about propagation, just have to call the network at
network frequency, get connected to the strongest Server and communicate with
it. The negative is the fact that ideally frequency needed to be change after
establishing contact, which means that end user must have setup to to be able
to do that and it could be a  problem for some end users.

2/ Well, we can even go farther, we are all connected over the Internet,  why
do not we act like one, what I mean User Call network and have poor condition
but 2 servers can hear and receive partial data, why not instead of sending
request to repeat transmission,  check the other server that hear part of it to
see if it got the part that is missing. I understand that this is difficult,
would required multistation connection, but again, this is just an idea for a
future.

In term of my Server, I need to create portable PSKMail station and started
calling playing with it. I have radio, no tuner, laptop, so need to get some
antenna and I will be ready to play

73

Robert

KB2PNM