[pskmail] Java client on Linux and Windows

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:32:48 +1100

Per, Rein,

I have tried the Java client V0.21 on both WinXP SP3 and Linux (Mandriva
Linux 2007 as per the older live CD).

They both work well. Certainly the new protocol is much more reliable. Today
I did some tests with Steve (VK2ZSZ) at a distance of 225KM on 40M and the
transfers over PSK125 was smooth despite a number of packet losses. There
was of course no overlap as per the old protocol where I would see a lot of
lost time with overlapping packet and re-synchronization between the server
and client. So a great improvement really.

I didn't notice any bugs, so just a couple of comments:

1. Since the client is always manned I really like the connect principle at
the moment where the connects requests are generated manually instead of
automatically at set intervals. The human ear and/or fldigi waterfall are
much better instruments to decide if a connect request needs to be sent
again or not. I am not sure how to reconcile that with the Mail/scanning
option, maybe by sending only the first connect and letting the operator do
the repeats if necessary.

2. Although I haven't tried the gps input on this version, one comment on
the old one if it's used as a starting point: regarding the display of the
gps supplied information in headings and speed, is it possible to have an
option for KM/h and Mile/H as well, and maybe change the heading display to
the 8 or 16 directions (e.g E-NE for 22.5 deg heading) or a rotating
compass? This is for the land restricted, great central desert thrill
seeking Hams among us.

3. In the mail details (for a server update) there is currently no password
for position report via a findu email. Not sure if this is permanent or not.
Personally I only do position reports in the unproto mode so it would not be
a big issue for me if not implemented.

One question though: on this new client what is the usage and impact of the
DCD number? Is that seconds delay after last character received before
transmitting?

Server side: One issue that I noticed with my home server in the past and
have reproduced on Steve's server today (with both the old client and the
new one): when we use the THOR mode, the server will sometimes just ignore
any block received by Fldigi although the block is formed properly. When
this occurs, the server will then ignore any new block received in any mode
and needs a restart. We never see that with the PSK modes. This could be due
to the encapsulation of the pskmail block with the <stx> and <eot>: is the
<stx> creating an issue with the beginning of the block or are the two side
by side <eot> at teh end basically interpreted as an empty block?

Although I am happy to do some debugging I am not sure where to look for in
the server code: rflinkserver.pl or arq.pm?

Great job on the java client, please keep it up.

73s, John (VK2ETA)