[pskmail] Re: I'm New at PSKMail

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:48:05 +0100

Hi Steve,

Welcome, great to see a new callsign here!
I will try to answer your questions here below:

tor 2006-12-21 klockan 09:02 -0600 skrev Steven Pituch:
> Hi all,
> I am totally new to PskMail.  I live on the Gulf of Mexico in Texas, USA.
> As it turns out we were very lucky in 2005 and early 2006 as we are the only
> narrow location on the US gulf coast (from Florida to Mexico) that was not
> devastated by hurricanes.  The hams here are very into disaster
> preparedness.  However, there exists only one SCS Pactor III modem in the
> area, and that EOC is under construction and has no antennas yet.  I am very
> interested in the capabilities of PskMail for use in a disaster.

PSKmail should be great for disaster use. I have worked a lot as QRP
with just a wire antenna, works great. Its not fast but it works.

> I know how to use Paclink on VHF.  I do not use Airmail because it requires
> either a old Kantronics modem for VHF or HF, or an SCS modem.  I have many
> questions about PSKMail.  I have looked through the archives and also the
> Wiki but have not found all the answers yet.  This is probably because this
> mode is so new.
>
> My first question is something about how PskMail works.  Packet is so nice
> because the node will regulate the users who are accessing it.  With PskMail
> is it similar to packet in this way?  What I am afraid is that if a bunch of
> users will try to access the server (main node) at the same time continually
> QRMing the server.  Will the server tell the other stations to wait until
> the present qso is finished or will the other stations continue to interfere
> with the ongoing contact?  I can see many stations needing to connect to the
> main node down here.  I envision many coastal stations in the affected
> disaster areas needing to contact the state capital (Austin, Texas), which
> is inland about 250 miles.  How does PskMail compare to Pactor and Packet in
> this respect?

Its quite similar to amtor/pactor in that the server and client are
constantly exchanging info with each other in a synchronous pattern. Its
not like packet where several stations can be connected, this is point
to point and the fq is constantly in use during a qso. If the user base
is large then we may have to find a scheme to limit the connect time
allowed or some other improvement.

> I have a Toshiba Laptop that I use for work.  I was able to boot into Linux
> using the CD made from the iso file.  This was very encouraging.  However,
> the  screen was very dark.  I have seen where there are utilities for this
> but could not figure out what to do.  Also I need this laptop for work so
> using it for a server would not be practical.  I have seen on the wiki info
> on the radio requirements but none for the PC requirements.  What are the
> requirements for this program and Linux?  I think I can put together a
> Pentium mmx 233 mHz pc with maybe 64 or 128 mb of ram.  Would this be
> adequate?  The laptop has 768 mb ram.

I have seen noone else mention a dark screen, if can then pse look for
your pc here: http://www.linux-laptop.net/
If you find that you need some special driver then just let me know and
I'll include it. Mandriva specs are listed as:
Hardware Requirements
CPU: All Pentium, Celeron, Athlon, Duron, Sempron processors
RAM: 256MB minimum, 512MB recommended.
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM player
Graphic Cards: NVIDIA®, ATI™, Intel® i8xx and i9xx.
Sound cards: All Sound Blaster compatible cards and AC97

I realize I didn't list those on the distro site, will fix asap.

A pentium 233 MHz is the slowest possible pentium and I'm not sure if it
would work on that (you have to test that). Memory is very important and
you had plenty of that, it could work.

> I have quite a bit experience with HF and QRP and NVIS.  I might possibly be
> able to set up a server, but my Linux knowledge is zero.  I have some of my
> radio stuff here:
> www.pituch.net/personal/
> And
> http://www.pituch.net/personal/Steve's%20Page/Radio/Antenna/Antenna.htm
> Utilimately I would like to test PskMail with stations in the southern USA,
> or perhap the Carribean or central america.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve Pituch, W2MY
> Corpus Christi

Great stuff, regarding setting up a server I included one on the latest
disc. Its easy and well documented on the wiki.

Best 73's and a warm welcome to our group, Per/SM0RWO