[pskmail] Headless mode for the server

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 20:04:23 +0200

Hello Karel,

The PSKmailserver can easily be run headless:

* Start 'vncserver :70 -geometry=1024*800'

* Connect to the vncserver from any machine on the network:
  'vncviewer pskmailserver:5970'

* If you run a firewall which does not allow port 5970 you can run
a ssh tunnel from the monitoring machine:
- ssh -L 5970:localhost:5970 user@pskmailserver
and connect to the tunnel with vncviewer localhost:70

* Start ./fldigi

* Start ./rflinkserver.pl

* Disconnect from the vncserver (close the viewer).

You can now reconnect to the server any time, the vncserver provides
fldigi with an X display and the server will go on running in the background.

You can look at the server log via ssh user@pskmailserver, and tail -f
server.log

You can also run an apache server on the machine and monitor the server with a
web browser,
take a look at: http://131.155.192.172/health.php

I've got a php script which will do that for you...

PI4TUE has been run headless for 2 years now, and I have been able to
control it from my camp site in Spain....