[pskmail] Re: [Fwd: Re: jpskmail issue]

  • From: "Brett E. Wynkoop" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 03:30:19 -0400 (EDT)

On 27/Jun/2010 03:13 P�r Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ..

> Hi Brett,
>
> I'm a bit slow in answering this, have just been too busy.
> Great that you were able to get through that issue, just read abt the
> next and I hope we solved that one as well :-).

It seems that the fldigi in the ubuntu repositories is too old.  I just grabbed
the most current source code and will build it Sunday night.  I am about to turn
in for the night.

> A node in New York City would be great, there are pskmail yachts
> participating in the ARC (atlantic rally for cruisers) this year and
> they need servers on that side of the atlantic!
> http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/

My own 27 foot sloop is part of the reason I am interested in pskmail.  I am
also interested in it for emergency communications.  At the moment I am out of
work, so I have to do this on the cheap!

> I use an ICOM 706MK2G and its a stable and nice radio but not the best
> for pskmail (it lacks a digital mode, can only use the 500 Hz filter by
> using a split and listen in cw). I think the ICOM 718 is better, I tried
> it on SA0BCJ yacht before he sailed and it seemed very nice. Its also
> cheaper, think its abt $600 new now (should be used ones around too).
> For a server a 500 Hz filter is very, very good to have.
>
> 73 de Per, sm0rwo

My main radio is an SGC-2020.  I use it mobile and in the  boat.  My hope is to
find something cheap and stable and if I can control it from one of my BSD or
Linux boxes for frequency changes based on time of day that would be great.  I
am probably going to sell off some other stuff to finance a dedicated pskmail
server rig.

Thanks so much for all your help!

73

Brett