[pskmail] Few ideas about PSKMail client

  • From: Robert Krasowski <rkrasowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:37:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hello ,
Just a few comments and maybe some ideas for improvement of PSKMail client.

I still think  that it is  difficult for people to use it and if you are
dealing with people like us, who likes "toys",  computers, programming,
electronics and we get triil achieving something then we are ok, but if we want
more people to use is it should be somewhat more friendly.

I am thinking mostly about sailors. I wish to have automatic e-mail sending
system. I am a sailor, I do sail a lot and the last thing I want to do in the
middle of the night in stormy weather when I am fighting to keep my lunch in my
stomach is to play with radio, find the frequency and send e-mail not knowing
if it was delivered.
We should came up with the system that person write an email, choose priority,
press send and this is it. Client program choose the frequency and server,
ping, call it , transfer email and if propagation is bad, shuts everything down
 for let's say 1h. In 1 h everything starts up again and Client try to deliver
the message. How often it tries and for how long depends on the message
priority. The risk of this is the chance of running out of power that is a
problem on the boat, but solution is quite simple, measure the battery status
and base on that decide how often to call.

I would like to see also API that allows developers communicate with pskmail
client using different programming  lunguages ( that is very egoistical
request  since I can do things with Perl but Java brr, not for me). That will
allows more people to work on the software and implement some new ideas. By the
way at what stage of developement was PSKMail client in Perl abandoned??

Overall I think that PSKMail is great and thanks for all time and work that
people put into the system developing it. Just thinking how can we make it
better.

Best regards, Happy PSKMailing
Robert
KB2PNM