[pskmail] Re: Email Info Server

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:00:41 +0200

ons 2008-04-23 klockan 17:53 +0000 skrev Jeff Davis:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been thinking of creating an email information processor. Something
> that a pskMail user could send an email to and receive an email reply with
> the requested information.
>
> Actually I'm just looking for an excuse to play with sed, formail, sendmail,
> perl and wget. :-)
>
> It would work something like this:
>
> - a user sends an email request with a keyword like "INFO" in the subject
> line.
>
> - the processor responds by sending a complete list of available information
> that can be individually triggered by Subject line request.
>
> - using Subject line keywords (or keywords in the body), specific
> information could be returned via email.
>
> A simple example might be a request for the latest ARRL Letter -- a bit more
> complex might be a request to return the last 5 or 10 eHam reviews of a
> certain piece of equipment. Latest propagation bulletins, other newsletters,
> last five blog entries with comments, the first chapter of a public domain
> book, etc.
>
> The list is endless; anything that might be useful to a traveler who uses
> pskMail for communication while away from home.
>
> But here's my question -- am I re-creating the wheel -- does this
> functionality already exist?

Yes, I have implemented a version of that.
I use perl and cron to poll a mailbox and react to whatever is in the
subject line. As I am working in a place where we have not been allowed
to access the internet, other than for email, I put that up to be able
to surf by email. I send an email to an account at home where its picked
up by the script, if the subject line is an url then it will fetch that
page (using curl) and send it back. I have put a few other commands in
there as well, one such is a way to send a message through fldigi.

Does that sound like the same idea?