[pskmail] Disaster response/ Alternate frequencies?

  • From: sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 16:06:59 +0100

Hi All

First post here. On a personal note I'm a sailor so I really like the work you are doing. Long range email/ Net is further incentive to get around to doing a Ham licence..

I'm emailing you today beacause i'm interested in the Serval Project. (I'm not an official representative of the project, just an interested third party)

Serval is a disaster recovery communications system;

Serval Mesh is an Android app that provides highly secure mesh networking, voice calls, text messaging and file sharing between mobile phones using Wi-Fi, without the need for a SIM or any other infrastructure like mobile cell towers, Wi-Fi hotspots or Internet access. Hi All

First post here. On a personal not I'm a sailor so I really like the work you are doing. Long range email is further incentive to get around to doing a Ham licence..

I'm emailing you today beacause i'm interested in the Serval Project. (I'm not an official representative of the project, just an interested third party)

Serval is a disaster recovery communications system;

Serval Mesh is an Android app that provides highly secure mesh networking, voice calls, text messaging and file sharing between mobile phones using Wi-Fi, without the need for a SIM or any other infrastructure like mobile cell towers, Wi-Fi hotspots or Internet access. http://www.servalproject.org/

However the range of Wifi is quite limiting, so the project is interested in developing 'range extenders' using other frequencies in the Radio spectrum.

The 'mesh extender' could provide the infrastructure to connect meshes over longer distance.
http://developer.servalproject.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=content:meshextender:main_page#high-level_design

Now I realise your project uses HF frequencies which are only available to licensed radio hams. But I was interested to see that you seem to have ported FLDigi to Android..

It seems that your two projects may be somewhat complimentary. I'm thinking if we could hook up an Android device to a licence free radio, install Serval & AndPsk and get them talking togther, then the Rhizome store & forward messages from Serval could be via AndPSK over radio to another identical device, which then pushes the messages from AndPSK into Serval, and back into the Serval Mesh network.

I realise that CB/ PMR446 will only get a signal a few miles, but that would be a significant improvement over the hundreds of meters you get with Wifi. Also i'm thinking text messages only here.

Specifically what I was pondering is how complex it would be to;

* Use PSKmail on an alternative licence free spectrum such as PMR446 or the CB frequencies that now allow packet? (EG. does the current design require a ham callsign? Or could I just hook it up to a CB as is?)

* Build a bridge between AndPSK and Serval so the apps talk to each other and exchange messages

I realise this is somewhat vague and I don't really have a clear idea of exactly how PSK works yet. I thought id just thow out this email in the hope someone will say; yes it also looks to me these projects can compliment each other, or equally; no that won't work because of X. Forget it.

Thanks

Sam