[pskmail] Re: Dead or Alive?

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linlink@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:36:18 +0100

> >Right now (not necessarly at this exact moment) Rein, PA0R is
> >killing wine in Benicasim, Spain.  He camps in his camper in winter
> >(but generally not in his home country Hi Hi) and boats on the river in
> >summer.

The wine was excellent, TU...

> Lots of questions come to mind.   Here are a few:
> 1. Are any pskmail servers being operated in the U.S.?

Yes, since a few weeks there are experimental servers operating in the US,
which are awaiting testing by users!!

> 2. Is it true that pskmail is also dependent on Internet mail
> servers, since it includes no mail database, but only a user database?

Yes, that is the basic concept of pskmail. Use HF to reach the nearest (not in
geographical sense) server
coupled to the internet. The idea is that there will be a working internet
somewhere within reach via an
HF path. (we have tested up to 3000 km (Lybia <> Holland)).

> 3. If 2., then will modifications be made to allow for mail storage
> and HF or VHF forwarding?

If there is enough interest that will be done. One could e.g. put all mail
undeliverable to the internet into a simple mbox, interfacing to an existing
forwarding system.

> 4. If 2 and not 3, will each server also have to provide a POP or
> SMTP mailbox interfaced to pskmail?

The pskmail server has POP, SMTP and HTTP agents built in, and can work with
any (most) ISP's, even GMAIL.
But of course the mail server can also sit on a LAN or on the pskmail server
itself, provided it delivers the standard
POP, SMTP and HTTP services.

What is not included is forwarding from mailbox to mailbox, but see (3.).

It helps if you read the wiki (http://pskmail.wikispaces.com).

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com