[pskmail] DCD on Puppy beta 8

  • From: Fred Reiselt <freiselt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 16:22:51 -0500

Hi Rein,

I have played some with the Puppy beta 5 and beta 8. Very nice, very fast, very easy. I even went back on my old, old Pentium 200 laptop and got it sort of working. It has 96 mB of ram and it will boot. After I got the sound card configured, fldigi will run but the laptop just doesn't have enough horsepower for decoding and running the waterfall reliably. I guess the fft routines overload it. What was neat was that Puppy saw a Linux swap partition on the hard drive and mounted it. That is how it ran on such a small amount of ram.

Anyway, on the Compaq Armada E500 everything runs great. But, I am curious about when psk_arq.pl decides the channel is busy. The new interface between fldigi and psk_arq.pl allows a data carrier detect (DCD), from what you said in an earlier posting. However, I am seeing some collisions that should be avoided. The server will start sending and several characters get decoded on the client. Then, partially through the server transmission, the client will start transmitting. That is expected sometime under the old file system interface.

I also really like the status at the bottom of the psk_arq.pl client but don't totally understand the information. Would you provide a short description of the information it provides, or point me to where that information is documented.

The email client in the beta 8 has received mail very well so far. The configuration stored on flash is working well too. Now I need to figure out how to put all of the Puppy live cd on the flash ram.

Thanks es 73,
Fred
wb5con