[pskmail] Re: Confusion between server and client preferences....

  • From: Rob Frohne <frohro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:25:13 -0700

Hi John,

Well, I got VE7SUN to try and answer me, but no connection, however,
upon looking more closely, I found that I'm getting an error
in /usr/share/pskmail/psk_arq.pl on line 73, where it says use arq, and
this is in another account that has never run the server.  In this
account, at least it puts the server call sign in the connect message.

Well, it occurred to me that I don't really need to win the battle of
getting the server computer going as a client.  I want it to be a
server, and so I hooked up my laptop where I don't get the error about
use arq;.  I got a bunch of responses back from VE7SUN, but it never
connected.  The S/N was about 27 db using PSK250.  I narrowed the
filters in the receiver so that I wasn't getting much but VE7SUN, but it
still won't connect.  I don't have a lot of experience with PSK250.
What kind of signal to noise ratio will I need?  Is it likely some other
problem.  So far today listening, I have only heard VE7SUN which is
basically about 300 miles away, and none of the other servers.  I have
heard one other station try to connect, but without any luck.  How
difficult is it to connect?  Will I have much of a chance from the
mobile?

73,

Rob, KL7NA