[pskmail] Re: Comparing digimodes and ssb voice...what is good/bad result?

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 09:48:20 +1000

Hello Tarmo,

Sorry I noticed I didn't reply to your last question directly.

I would expect THOR22 under FM to be better than SSB voice.

The only things that can affect THOR decoding are settings on the receiving
Fldigi (notably selecting "Slow CPU" and not selecting the filters under
the THOR mode settings) and a rather large  difference in audio card clock
frequencies (I suspect something like 5000ppm or more).

Have you done the card calibration using the WWV mode in Fldigi. It is
quite simple.

Also when using direct audio cables or speaker to microphone (no radio), do
you get a difference in audio frequency when you do a tune. That would
indicate a mis-aligment of audio clock frequencies between TX and RX
systems. I easily get 10Hz difference with an 1500Hz audio tune for
uncalibrated cards. That's 6700PPM of difference.

Hope this helps,

73, John