[pskmail] Comparing digimodes and ssb voice...what is good/bad result?

  • From: Tarmo Huttunen <tarmopaha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 21:54:00 +0300

Hello all!

I need a little advice from more experienced pskmailers.
Last night I send some aprs beacons with albrecht2990 handheld/AndPskmail
to my own base with thor22.
Distance was about 20km. Beacons were received mostly ok, about 80% right.
In that distance/path voice communication is easy, it is in about the
border of practical fm work, still usable (I have tried that place before)
and phone ssb is easy and clear.

So queston is: what range should I expect from digimodes like thor22?.
Should thor22 have "longer" or "shorter" maximum distance on line-of-sight
communicatons as phone ssb?

I know there can not be accurate answer for this question. What I am
looking for is for example experiences like " I was able to work ssb when
psk500 didnt get throw...but thor22 did..." or something like that.

If we consider pskmail digimodes starting from most robust (thor8?) to less
robust (psk500?) so where we should consider limit for phone ssb usually to
be? Is it somewhere on thor-modes or somewhere on psk-modes or how?

Without arq, is this thor22-80% right bad or good result on path where
phone ssb is mostly easy?

Tarmo