[pskmail] Client, to do list

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:22:05 +0100

I have been preparing for the training session here (which was very
popular and has changed to a bigger hall) and I've been talking to one
participant (beginner). We walked through the client and when looking at
it with such unbiased eyes its apparent that we can improve it.
Here is a short list of things we discussed, mainly in preferences:

1. User data tab:
- Link to can be set on the main ui, we could omit it here
- Mode profile is somewhat difficult, tooltip helps but..
- Position is in decimal only. Sailors like degrees and minutes..
- Beacon QRG can be set on the main ui..
2. Email settings
One complaint here is that we tie one email account to one callsign. On
a boat there are several persons and they all have accounts, switching
callsigns all the time is not optimal, it works but...
- Password is always visible, perhaps we should show stars instead
- Account data is called pop3 in outlook, should we simplify the labels?
- Update server button should perhaps be cut as its in the main menu now
3. Configuration
Almost skipped that one, should perhaps explain it better.
4. Devices
UI seemed ok. APRS Server port may need some explanation. Also discussed
interfacing APRS data with ships mapplotter instead of xastir.
5. Rig
Missing in manual, need to explain it further.
Also, its looking slightly different than other tabs...

Another manual thing was that the fldigi settings has been changed,
configuration is not where it was a few months ago...
Also, we dont say that "Report ARQ frames average S/N" should be
enabled. Not why either...

That was a few things I will try to address asap. If you have more
things that need a good housecleaning then pse reply or if you do not
agree...

73 de Per
SM0RWO