[pskmail] Re: Can't send mail

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:49:12 +0100

Hi Bernard,

The way the server sends emails, for any user, is to send them to an
smtp server that it can actually reach. Most ISP's will block anyone
from the outside trying to get their smtp server to relay messages. That
is exactly what spammers do. So, only a select few ISP's will allow that
kind of relay. That means we can not use individual pskmail clients own
smtp servers, we have to define a single smtp server that the pskmail
server can relay all its email through (for all users).

I use my own server and many others, like you, will want to use their
gmail account and send email through the gmail smtp server. But, google
can of course not let anyone just relay messages through their server.
It would be heaven for spammers. So, you will have to tell gmail who you
are by logging in.

So, regarding your settings:
@ = \@
> $smtptlspass = ? (Do I need a special one from Gmail ?)
> $smtptlsport = 587 (also tried 465)

Quick comment on these:
$smtpauthlevel : Yes, correct.
$smtptlsuser : Yes, you must log in to send email. Use your gmail
account like "user\@gmail.com"
$smtptlspass : Yes, you must log in so a password is needed.
$smtptlsport : Yes, 587 is the SSL/TLS port they use.

More on the gmail smtp settings can be found here:
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

73 de Per, sm0rwo

P.s. Server manual, page 11, shows an example of the settings.

--
Mobile: +46703784299