[pskmail] Re: BBS and pskmail

  • From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 22:03:36 +0200

comments below...

There is a lot of know-how in the packet community.,.

> The other suggestion was to use PSKmail as a rudimentary BBS by sending
> mail to the server. I probably do not have this set up correctly and
> maybe someone can give the exact specific parameters you would need to
> make this work. I tried sending to my pskmail_server with a message to
> kv9u@KV9U. It accepted the mail but I have not been able to retrieve it.

Hint: Use an SSID on the server, e.g. KV9U-3, never the smae as your own
callsign..
Always use UPPER CASE for the callsigns.
So e.g. send a mail to KV9U@KV9U-3
The server will automatically make a local mail directory for KV9U.

The Mbox ~LLIST command will show you your headers in the local mbox.
If that does not work pse send us the error message the server produces.

> Do you need to update different parameters to the server or can you use
> your regular e-mail information?

for the local mbox the server needs no parameters, it works with the call
you connect it with.

> The one thing I am keeping away from is anything related to packet since
> it no longer really exists in our region anymore except for APRS. And
> packet requires a fairly good signal to get it to work. If packet had
> weak signal capabilities probably some of us would use it instead of
> these alternative systems when using VHF.

I never suggested using HF packet, but using pskmail to access the
infrastructure behind it. There is still a world-wide IGATE network you can
telnet into, providing a host of resources which are hardly used anymore!!!

My suggestion is to use these existing resources instead of building new
resources from scratch... you will find a lot of sysops running packet BBS'es
very
cooperative where it relates to connecting a pskmail server to access
their services.
If you must, I would try to install existing BBS software, and connect it to
the
pskmail server via telnet.

DA5UWG runs a pskmail server, a minidigipeater on VHF with AX25 connection
to a BBS in the region, and 2 pactor links to the UK, Turkey and ZL.
All this can be handled via connection to the pskmail server.

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com