[pskmail] Re: Aw: V2 on W7: not transmitting, not seeing audio

  • From: Sander Pool <sander_pool@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:06:32 -0400

Hi Rein,

my answers inline below:

On 8/23/2012 5:49 AM, Rein Couperus wrote:
Hi Sander,
tnx, this is stuff we are looking for...
Some more questions:
1.: Have you looked at http://www.pskmail.org/jPSKmail-2.0.x_on_windows7.html ?

Sorry, didn't see that. Will review right away and let you know what happened.

2: Have you installed the RxTx java library? It takes care of the handling of the USB ports...

This is probably a critical missing piece.

3.: Have you tried without PTT, using VOX?

No, I never use VOX because it's generally not recommended and I paid for a PTT port :-)

4.: Have you tried to use the device with Fldigi? If it works there, it can give you clues
about ports, audio devices etc...

Yes, fldigi and others work great.

If you set the main server in 'User data' it will be remembered... as soon as you can hear more than 1 server they will automatically be added to the drop down list at the bottom
of the app...

Hmm, I guess this is where I need to learn the standard recipes yet for pskmail. I was expecting it to remember the server I was pinging.

You can retrieve any web page (text only) via the Info menu...
Just fill in the URL in the Info->Get web pages form, connect and select the URL... The server ops are responsible for keeping the wiki servers page up to date...

I think what you mean is that once you are connected to a server over RF it can provide text web pages, right? I can see this is helpful once you're under way. Is the correct URL stored in jpskmail somewhere? I think it would be helpful if the 'retrieve server list' action was more easily performed, especially for new users. If you're not connected (the default state when freshly installed) it could at least pop up a message saying 'open url ..... in a browser' or simply do that for you.

I am always using V2 with VOX, and the cat control of my 897 is broken, so I
cannot test properly... I don't own a Microham interface to test it...
Actually, I can use the FT897 with just an audio cable, no interface.

The microham interface isn't anything special to Windows, just extra audio devices and COM ports. I considered using a plain cable or one with isolation transformers but figured having the extra sound card was a good idea. A lot more $$/E than a cable of course :-)

73,

    Sander W1SOP