[pskmail] Aw: Re: *Update server* for test

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:00:22 +0200 (CEST)

I can confirm 1.5.9 is not broken, it works like it should.
The only difference with respect to 2.0.14 is that in 1.5.9 you have to
issue 2 commands manually:
~RESETRECORD (is a menu item (ctrl-r) in the link menu in 2.0.14)
:SETPASSWORD (is automatic after a server update in 2.0.14).
Do you want me to put it in? Do we need a 1.5.10?

Rein PA0R
Great,
Just one question: Will this update break the 1.5.9 client?
What I mean is that we have finally reached a stable state with client 1.5.9 and server 1.7.1.
Will this mean that 1.5.9 will no longer work with updated servers? If so then I think we need to discuss separating the experimental and stable networks.

73 de Per

Rein Couperus skrev 2012-06-07 14:35:
The update server procedure for test. You can invoke it by
hitting menu->link->update server or just crtl-u:

<quote>
PI4TUE 1.8.0-9:22:51-IM1637>
Failed to get your email, pse upload correct email settings.

Receiving record

Updated database for PA0R-4

=>>5,22a428e1f2f121fc8ac98d574226a07f20a66c
Session password changed!
</quote>

The 'setpassword' and 'update server' routines have been merged.
To change a password just set a new one on the client and re-update the server.
The server caches the mail record until you reset it (with ctrl-r).

**Test versions of server (1.8.0) and client (2.0.14) implementing this
have been uploaded to the download site.**

<Explanation for newbies>
Why all this hassle with passwords?
PSKmail has been optimized for narrow band operation, which means it has
to be very efficient with its protocols.
To prevent the client from having to upload the mail data record again for
every session, the server caches the data.
The drawback of this scheme is that everybody connecting the server using your
callsign can get your mail (userid and password are cached on the server).
To prevent this the client and server exchange session cookies, which only
succeeds if you have set the right secret password on the client.
The servers do not exchange mail records, and there is no central database.
When you are very paranoid, you could set a different password for each server you use.
</Explanation for newbies>

--
Mobile: +46703784299