[pskmail] Re: Aw: Re: Re: quick start guide?

  • From: PÃr Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 15:07:03 +0100

Looking good Rein :).
I suppose my old eee 900 with its 900 MHz celeron is to blame on my side.
On my server (a P4 @ 2.8 GHz) fldigi is using abt 10% cpu now but it restarted five hours ago so I suppose it will freeze again any second now. The stand alone java modem is something I'd very much like to have some time to look at.

73, Per
sm0rwo

Rein Couperus skrev 2012-11-05 12:51:
I am completely lost with this discussion... on my new low-cost (246 Euro),
low energy consumption  machine for the camper with an AMD E2-1800 CPU,
the whole java stuff just needs 16-25%, depending on running the waterfall
of the 2.0.19 java client...
On the same machine fldigi alone takes 10%...
See attachment.

Rein PA0R

Hi Ian,

I can only agree that 50% CPU usage is not what I like to see. Of course
if it's running on a 486 CPU then perhaps I can live with it...
One big factor in moving to a completely java based client is another
successful ham radio application that supports multiple OS without
resorting to java: fldigi. When using it on a server we know it will
constantly crash. Unfortunately fldigi is so bad that I am quickly
loosing interest in doing anything pskmail related as long as fldigi is
involved. It just hangs. For some, even for me, it can sometimes work
fine for weeks but then it goes in to crash mode and then it's
completely useless. If we can get rid of fldigi we can make sure the
client works and then we need to get it to run with less CPU usage.

Sending emails from the command line without a client should be an easy
project. You need to create a connection to a modem (that unstable
fldigi again) and there you can just post single line pskaprs email. To
connect and receive emails will, as you say, require a bit more effort.

73, Per
SM0RWO

--
Mobile: +46703784299