[pskmail] Re: Aw: Re: PSKmail with TS-590S?

  • From: Ian Wade G3NRW <g3nrw-radio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 19:13:04 +0000

Rein

Many thanks. This is all very useful information. One particular difficulty I find is that the program forgets the audio input channel selection when I close the program -- I have to re-select the correct channel each time I start the program.

Understood on multi-path etc, but Per's signal was very strong and sharp on the display. I also checked with Fldigi (after shutting down PSKmail), and Fldigi copied everything.

I also tried to connect with different modes -- each time, the server responded in the same mode, but still no decoding.

--
73
Ian, G3NRW

From: Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013   Time: 18:56:52

Ian,
I have tested 2.0.31 on win7. I don't have xp or any other version of
windows.
There is a description on how to set the audio on win7 on
http://www.pskmail.org/jPSKmail-2.0.x_on_windows7.html
This should work similarly with other windows (XP?) versions.
Basically you choose the audio channel with the audio widget,
and use its output as the input channel to the DSP.
Here all modes decode correctly without problem, there is no known bug
in decoding
(provided you are not using fldigi)...
Set the audio level to blue background, yellow/white signals, then it should
be o.k.
There are of course other reasons why it shouild not work, the most
important one
being multipath causing selective QSB. But that should be clearly visible
in the waterfall.
In such a case it may help to use e.g. PSK125R or THOR22.
The RSID decoder tells you whether you are on the right frequency...
In PSK500R, you can be 30 Hz off frequency before decoding seriously
deteriorates.
The RSID decoder will center the rx signal in the middle of the passband.
MFSK is the mode requiring the best frequency stability (+- 20 Hz)
whereas
THOR22 is vastly independant of frequency... it allows more than 100 Hz
offset...
Sometimes it helps if you leave the audio management widget running in
the background,
e.g. on Linux when using pulseaudio. The java audio driver seems to need
this. If you
have problems with decoding, you could try this.
Hope this helps,