[pskmail] Aw: Re: Beta release of jPSKmail-2.0.9

  • From: "Rein Couperus" <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:19:23 +0200 (CEST)

Tnx for the report John...

this is the first bug report I've got for V2 :-) I have used 2.0.9 during the time I was /M in Spain, an it worked fine on my laptop,
so I thought it was time to get some input from others.

Comments:

1. As this has to be done only 1x for every machine it is not my highest priority to change it ...
On all my machines, the audio is now stable, i.e. it works 100% of the time. So it is a bit difficult to debug...
I run UBUNTU 10.04, and the audio is taken from the alsamixer. I don't have to use windows...

2. The audio sliders work for input and output. On 2.0.9 there is also an audio attenuator you may have to use. (0, 10, 20 and 30 dB).

3. The TXID's is work in progress...  I had to increase the number of TXID's while on a very bad link.
On 10148 in EU we often have 3 simultaneous QSO's, all spreading mode chaos.

4. Will test

6. I will change the error message

7. I will change it to 'Disconnect'

8. I am thinking of allowing server update without a valid session password, as a possible abuser
does not know the data anyway. The session password is meant to authenticate the client.

9. This is problematic... sometimes the client  will get an alien RSID during a connect, and I am using
the Modes menu to switch it back into the right mode. I also use it when the client misses an RSID from
the server. In EU we have so many stations now that it also starts to happen on traffic frequencies...

10. It used to work on windows, and afaik the Soundinput and Mymixer files did not change...
Needs work, unfortunately I don't have a development environment for windows so I cannot test.
I also have zero knowledge about windows, and I'd like to keep it that way...
But as the code is open source, maybe the windows users can find somebody....

11. The many threads have been introduced to make sound stable on MY machines...
Sound now starts 99% of the time here, sometimes I have to switch to MFSK32 and back to PSK to get it going...
Changing the logic is a tremendous amount of tedious work... As long as I have to do it on my own
it could take a year...

12. Yes, THOR8 still does not decode, it delivers garbage so it is switched off on my machines.

13. The k-to-k timing is still work in progress.

as soon as we get some more test reports we can make a priority list...

I am working on the V2 modem at the moment. GUI + Audio RX and TX works, started to add the
socket API for the server...

Rein PA0R

Rein,

I really like the fact of having only one application to launch and manage.

Results of my tests:

Environment: Client 2.0.9 on Ubuntu then Windows XP. Server 1.6.0 on Ubuntu.

1. Audio devices: when changing from one device to another only a stop and restart of the application will apply the changes. The result is that is seems that none of the options work when it fact they were not activated.

2. The audio volume sliders do not seem to work or if they work they may be working on mixers not related to the selected audio device.

3. RSIDs are TXed with most modes all the time. Is there a logic for that? Was it for narrow modes only, if yes shouldn't they be applied only when the server sends one (which the 1.6.0 server does almost all the time). So it could be a server issue instead.

4. Doing a configuration change in the middle of a session breaks the ARQ. The client sends inconsistent missing packet numbers. This is a real issue as the session password can't be changed without connecting with the old one first, then changing it and re-updating the server while connected.

5. New session password update is logical and much better than the :SETPASSWORD exercise.

6. Error messages related to the session password are really confusing. I propose the server clearly states "Wrong Session password" instead of "Wrong Password" only as I was wondering for a while which password it related to.

7. The QUIT button separate from the connect button is a good thing. Can we take that opportunity to rename it "Disconnect" since it does the opposite of "Connect"?

8. When performing an "Update server" when the session password is incorrect can we make the error message consistent with the other commands (i.e. "Wrong Session Password")?

9. Can I propose that mode changes be disabled during a connected session. It is possible to force the client to another mode in a middle of a session at present.

10. Windows audio devices: I tried on 3 different machines running Windows (2 x XP and 1 x Windows 7) and got the same result (see log below). It seems there is an incompatibility with the parameters of the audioFormat variable in SoundInput.java.

As I remember it working under Windows before, did we change anything there?

D:\Program Files\jPSKmail>java -jar jPSKmail-2.0.9.jar
Exception in thread "Thread-5" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Line unsuppor
ted: interface SourceDataLine supporting format PCM_SIGNED 8000.0 Hz, 16 bit, mo
no, 2 bytes/frame, little-endian
        at com.sun.media.sound.PortMixer.getLine(Unknown Source)
        at javapskmail.SoundOutput.run(SoundOutput.java:46)
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at javapskmail.DSPModem.ChangeRxModem(DSPModem.java:365)
        at javapskmail.arq.send_mode_command(arq.java:694)
        at javapskmail.mainpskmailui$2.actionPerformed(mainpskmailui.java:763)
        at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at javapskmail.DSPModem.ChangeRxModem(DSPModem.java:365)
        at javapskmail.DSPModem$1.actionPerformed(DSPModem.java:199)
        at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)

11. Overall I feel there are too many concurrent threads and maybe we can apply the same logic as the Android version with only a modem thread and a GUI one so that we have better control of the execution, especially when changing modes.

12. A question: do you still have the problem with THOR8 decoding?

Hope this helps,

73, John

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM, John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rein,

I have done a good amount of testing today on 2.0.9 and I have quite a few points for us to work on. I will send you the list tomorrow.

But overall it works quite well on my laptop and desktop under Linux. I am having issues with sound under Windows though...more checking needed.

I find it much easier to have everything in one place.

We will also then be able to look at the user friendliness of the system. I really think we can make it much easier for newcomers.

Great stuff.

Regards,

John

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It is time to test the V2 client before it is officially released.

Features:
* Modems included, start only 1 program
* Easier authentication with server 1.6 (only 'Update server' necessary)
* Keyboard chat and client-to-client file up/download works again

Software download via http://pskmail.org

Please send test reports to the mailing list...

Tnx & 73,

http://pa0r.blogspirit.com