[pskmail] Re: Aw: Disaster response/ Alternate frequencies?

  • From: Tarmo Huttunen <tarmopaha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 02:46:11 +0300

Sorry all, I accidentally sent unfinished post...this shoul be correct
version

Sam, this is interesting subject.

I let you know some rough suggestions about CB and PMR frequencies. I have
tried AndPskmail with pmr and 10 meter ham band (which is quite near of CB
frequencies). I have also some experience about local CB but if I remember
right, I have never used CB with PskMail.

I live on countryside on inner Finland, which is forest-covered quite flat
area. 10 meter band works nicely on local communication here, I have try it
for PskMail-based aprs-location sending with different set-ups.
On 10 meter band with decent base station (like cheap vertical antenna on
15 meter high) can locally have range of tens of kilometers to car stations
with about 1-meter whip. (Or handheld CB with 1-meter whip and couple meter
of groundwire.)

CB like 10 meter works well on forest areas, and generally on countryside
which have not so much electrical interference. Often there are lot of
interference on daytime, depending on solar activity. This may be a real
problem also.

SSB modulation became legal at CB radio some yers ago (I think in most
European countries), SSB can give better range, but is kind of tricky to
use. AM modulation works also fine, is easy to use and AM-CB-radios are
really cheap. There are also CB-models with VOX, which make connection
between radio and soundcard/android device simple. I believe using ham
digimodes in CB is legal today in Finland, (and also in PMR).

I have also tried PMR with AndPskamail and range here have been
disappointment: these high frequencies do not work well on forest. But I
prefer PMR over CB on urban area, because generally higher frequencies
suffer less with interference. If using PMR, it is important to get radio
as high as bossible.  If you have heard about "range extenders" or "parrot
repeaters", I ques they do not work with pskmail, because of timing issues.
As you know, PMR-radios with VOX can be bought very cheaply. Generally, if
PMR is advertised as for example "6 mile range", range is about 1 mile if
you are lucky and 2 mile if you are really high.

Shortly, CB on countryside, PMR on city and if you are going to buy radio,
check it is with VOX. (Voice activated transmission ). On legal aspect, the
most important thing is to NOT modify radio.

Tarmo