[pskmail] Re: Aw: Another frustrating experience

  • From: Franz Rohrauer <franz.rohrauer@xxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 21:08:06 +0200

Jan,

in the attachment you see screenshots of fldigi-waterfall and FFT. With these audio-settings server works best.

TX-signal MUST NOT be to strong! See http://w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/Modes/index.htm

Hope, this helps.

73 de Franz, oe5rtl

Am 2014-05-08 21:01, schrieb Jan Bruggeman:
Hello all,

Thanks for the reactions. I've been trying out a bit, but no improvement still.

- I'm allways using my timewave dsp 9+ . In cw mode it offers a 500 hz wide filter which seems to work best (i.e. I get some reception thru it). I have a narrow cw filter on my ts 140, but I can't get it decently setup with pskmail.

- I just tried again to ping or inquire a server with pskmail 1.5 / fldigi . On the website of SM0RWO i see that I am heard, but I do not hear anything comming back. I do not receive ping reply's nor reception reports. I'm playing around with sound levels on receiver, dsp and on soundcard, but no improvement there.

- it also seems weather related: I only got it to work in daylight and dry weather.

mvg,

Jan Bruggeman
Snoekstraat 79
9000     Gent
gsm: +32 476 066 826
mail: jan@xxxxxxxxx
web: http://www.aubine.be

On May 8, 2014, Rein Couperus <rein@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Jan,
here are some comments:
1: The issue you have with 2.0.30 is clearly a PTT problem.
Try using VOX, it is the simplest way...
I have been using 2.0.30 through the wintr from a remot location in Spain...
2: Try using i limited mode list, like PSK500R, PSK250R and MFSK16.
Or try single mode with THOR22.
These modes have FEC, and reduce receive errors.
Also, as Per suggests, ALWAYS try to use a 500Hz IF filter.
A DSP only works well if it is also in the IF, like in the IC7200.
I use a 500 Hz filter ombined with DSP in the K3.
3: You can check if you are being heard by the server using the "Inquire" command. It pings a specific server, and gives you a reading on the quality of the signal.
I have heard you well, but I have almost no noise at my QTH.
PI4TUE is located in a university building with a very high local noise level.
4: Try to get reception going first, before trying to do email stuff....
Hope this helps,
Rein PA0R
P.S. Per, last beacon of SM0RWO-1 on 040514...
fldigi again?
Hello list,

Recently I was able to send and receive some mail, but on the whole,
it's a very frustrating experience.

Today I again tried for more than 2 hours to receive one (1) small mail,
but it didn't work.

My setup:
- gap titan dx multi-band vertical
- mfj antenna tuner
- kenwood ts140 tranceiver
- dsp filter
- computer running linux mint

I have both pskmail 1.5.29/fldigi and jpskmail 2.0.30 running. I swap
the ~/.pskmail/configuration.xml file whenever I switch clients

the 2.0.30 is simple: it doesn't work. my transmitter goes into transmit
whenever I open the settings window. In that case, the transmitter
continues to transmit regardless of what I do in pskmail: quit,
disconnect, ... Even quiting pskmail completely doesn't stop the
transmit. I have to switch off the tranceiver. On the other hand, my
transmitter does not transmit anything when pressing the tune button,
sending a ping or a beacon or trying to connect. Using the (working)
1.5.29 config doesn't change a thing.

fldigi / pskmail 1.5.29 does work. But I hardly hear anything. It seems
to me that my signal gets thru to the world, but can somebody confirm
this ? I have been busy today may 7th between 14:00 and 17:00 CET.

the only server I can contact reasonably is OE5RTL (sorry for
monopolizing the server). Sometimes I hear 9A1CRA, but i've never been
able to do anything on it, timeout happens long before I receive anything.

On OE5RTL it seems to me that most of the time gets lost trying to find
a transmit mode. But I do not really know, it's so slow that I do not
really know what is happening. Even when reconnecting, the system tries
to catch up for hours without any result.

--
mvg,
Jan Bruggeman - ON4AIN

web: http://www.aubine.be