[pskmail] Re: Antennas

  • From: Rick W <mrfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:00:14 -0500

One thing that can be a blessing or a curse, depending upon the distance, is how far the ground/space wave travels from a vertical. On 30 meters the actual ground wave is likely 10 to 15 miles at best, but with such a high antenna must do better than that.

Any ideas on the range for close-in?

Then there would likely be a wide gap until the angle of radiation (low) comes back down again at a much more distant point.

What I should do sometime is run some tests with N9LGV's mobile vertical antenna tuned for various bands and see how it works against the home vertical. This is one of the times you wish you had an easy to tune screwdriver type mobile vertical antenna, HI.

Up to this point we have only worked with 2 meter FM and SSB phone, 80 meter digital (Olivia), and 75 meter SSB phone. When we have tried to work 80 meter phone with the mobile (vertical) to either the home ground mounted vertical and/or low NVIS dipole, it is sometimes barely possible to communicate much beyond 10 miles (SSB phone) when the band goes long on 80 meters toward evening since the signals get weak and you compete with distant signals and QRN.

73,

Rick, KV9U

Rein Couperus wrote:
PI4TUE uses a WARC vertical on top of a 200 ft building.

I am using a full wave vertical loop for 30m, which happens to work on 80m
(NVIS) as well..

When I ping a get answers form SM0RWO, PI4TUE, S52FAA-0 and IS0GRB-3 most of
the time.
EU is covered pretty well.

On the RV I use an end-fed inverted V for 30 with 6m fishing rod mast.