[pskmail] Re: Antenna hazards in Australia (off topic!)

  • From: Steve <stevez@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:59:11 +1100

G'day John,

I love these birds despite what they choose to do to my PSKMail system. We've had one in the family for nearly 30 years (it belongs to my little brother). It loves him and hates me. It seems the whole species does too ;-).
I notice your excellent work on PSKMail/FLDigi recently.

Steve Zoneff.

On 12/14/2009 05:22 PM, John Douyere wrote:
Hi Steve,

Excellent picture..hihi. Maybe they are helping you getting ready for
30M NVIS for when the sunspots come back.

Very had to prevent that situation especially if they have coordinated
attacks like this one!

73s,

John

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Steve<stevez@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hello all,

I've been trying very hard to maintain a PSKMail server on 30M here in
Australia. Mostly this has worked out well for me. I've got a nice back yard
to erect antennae, and very accommodating neighbours.
One thing that all Australians can't avoid however, is our wildlife.
Australia is the land of the parrot. One of our most famous species is the
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo. They're big, noisy and intelligent. They live
longer than most humans too.

The ones in my area love my PSKMail antenna. They've bent it a couple of
times now. Finally my wife caught them in the act (see picture below). She
(and my kids) were in fits of laughter when this picture was captured. I
think those animals knew what they were doing!

I've re-enforced then antenna. This won't stop them though - I'm sure they
enjoy the challenge!

If anyone has trouble hearing VK2ZSZ in the future, you can be sure that
these buggers have visited once again ;-)

Picture:- http://users.tpg.com.au/stevez/Cockys.jpg

Steve (VK2ZSZ)