[pskmail] Another frustrating experience

  • From: Jan Bruggeman <jan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 17:19:55 +0200

Hello list,

Recently I was able to send and receive some mail, but on the whole, it's a very frustrating experience.

Today I again tried for more than 2 hours to receive one (1) small mail, but it didn't work.

My setup:
- gap titan dx multi-band vertical
- mfj antenna tuner
- kenwood ts140 tranceiver
- dsp filter
- computer running linux mint

I have both pskmail 1.5.29/fldigi and jpskmail 2.0.30 running. I swap the ~/.pskmail/configuration.xml file whenever I switch clients

the 2.0.30 is simple: it doesn't work. my transmitter goes into transmit whenever I open the settings window. In that case, the transmitter continues to transmit regardless of what I do in pskmail: quit, disconnect, ... Even quiting pskmail completely doesn't stop the transmit. I have to switch off the tranceiver. On the other hand, my transmitter does not transmit anything when pressing the tune button, sending a ping or a beacon or trying to connect. Using the (working) 1.5.29 config doesn't change a thing.

fldigi / pskmail 1.5.29 does work. But I hardly hear anything. It seems to me that my signal gets thru to the world, but can somebody confirm this ? I have been busy today may 7th between 14:00 and 17:00 CET.

the only server I can contact reasonably is OE5RTL (sorry for monopolizing the server). Sometimes I hear 9A1CRA, but i've never been able to do anything on it, timeout happens long before I receive anything.

On OE5RTL it seems to me that most of the time gets lost trying to find a transmit mode. But I do not really know, it's so slow that I do not really know what is happening. Even when reconnecting, the system tries to catch up for hours without any result.

--
mvg,
Jan Bruggeman - ON4AIN

web: http://www.aubine.be