[pskmail] Re: Andpskmail

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 09:58:37 +1100

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the information. Yes this is what I am looking for. Any idea for
improvement will be welcomed.

Agree with the convenience factor of a small device versus a full
deployment.

For quick messaging to non-hams (we are allowed 3rd party traffic here
also), I use quite effectively an email-to-sms provider which allows me to
send emails in the format 55555555555@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and they in
turn forward the message to the cellular number as an SMS.

I then use mostly the non-connected form of APRS message sending: in the
APRS screen you write in the bottom field something like
"55555555555@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx my message test here" and press the
APRS MSG button, then provided one of the servers that receive you has your
email details, it will send that message as an email with the subject being
"APRS message from <YourCallSign>" and the email body being your message.
You also get and acknowledgement from the server.

So no need to connect and so on, it is quite handy for on-the-fly messages
to non ham.

If you use a solid mode like THOR22 you have a reasonable chance of getting
your message through.

Regarding the force close, do you remember what was the last action before
the application force closed or it just did it by itself?

I tested the modem screen a few times also on my side and I can't reproduce
so we will leave this one aside for the time being and see if it reappears.

All the best,

73, John