[pskmail] Re: Acer Aspire One? (slightly off topic, sri)

  • From: Michael Schrody <kd7tkq@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:07:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Par,

The quick answer is it runs on 19 volts, so you'd either have to do "double
conversion", using your inverter plus the AAO's power brick, else you'll need
to get one of those 12-to-(multi-voltage) mobile laptop converters. The latter
would be slightly preferable since there would be only one conversion, and
switching mode supplies are pretty efficient.

One other thing you can do is run the computer on its built-in battery, and
then recharge it whenever you have to run your inverter or genset for something
else anyway. That's the way I usually do it when I'm off "shore power" here in
my RV.

There's also the issue of RF noise generated by the supply and the computer
itself. I have found both the power supply and the computer itself to be much
quieter than my full-size Toshiba laptop. A good portion of the Toshiba's noise
seems to be from the LCD backlight, no doubt a flourescent. The AAO has LED
backlight which is of course electrically silent. Working the phone bands even
when they are very quiet I can't hear the thing at all. I'm very pleased in
that regard.

As for general impressions of the computer, I love it so far. The keyboard is
almost full-sized. Very easy to type on (I'm using it right now!), and the
1024x600 screen is excellent, and if you f-11 Firefox it is big enough for
comfortable web surfing. I plan to upgrade the RAM myself, but so far it has
been adequate with the 512MB. I also picked up a 8GB SD card to upgrade the
"hard drive" (there is a second dedicated card reader which, when a card is
inserted, it automatically extends the size of the primary storage).

If you have any other questions about the AAO, feel free to ask me offlist if
you think we'll get too far off-topic for the rest of the list.

 73 de Mike KD7TKQ

Blessed is the person who can laugh at himself - he'll never cease to be amused.