[pskmail] Re: APRS igate?

  • From: Tarmo Huttunen <tarmopaha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 22:44:09 +0200

John, thank you so much! That code works! Java/android have too much brain
overhead for me, I could not write clean code for this function by myself.

I describe a little how I use your work (and other developers of
pskmail-system, xastir and fldigi, thanks to them also).

My interest of radios came up when there was major power/cellular network
failures after storms some years ago here in countryside of inner Finland.
I found out that most cellular base towers did not have emergency power
systems. First I installed cb:s in cars and base at home, but when solar
activity raised, they become useless at daytime. So I get ham licence and
use mostly 10meter band now.

Now, I have added location capability to this radio system with
andpskmail/pskmail-software. On mobile side system locates me, not my car.
It works like this: On pocket I have androidphone and about cigar-box-sized
unit with bluetooth,vox.circuit, flat liPo-battery from old phone, and
transmitter made from modified little pmr-pcb. (Most pmr:s are easy to mod
to 70cm ham band.)
Now this little messy box send my location to cars receiver and it goes
thro second vox-activated transmitter at 10 meter band to base. Pocketbox
can works also like wireles microfon/receiver, in distance of some hundreds
meter from car.  It is just neat when my location is on the screen, beside
rig, on kitchen. But also nice because I work at nights, on isolated place
over troubled road from home.

One thing I have not yet done is to block location signal to be heard on
base station. It would be easy to for example give fldigi to respond some
word and start voice announcement with festival-synthesizer when voice
conversation is needed. (with fldigis notifications) But I want to have
ability to start voice conversation also without extra accessories (that
android phone).

Also I am planning to make bluetooth-vox "interface" inside handheld
ssb-gear (Albrecht 2990). It is a bit poor radio, but weights only 0,5 kg!
Now because it drifts a "little" when taked to, say, from +20 to -20
celsius, txid is needed to really work...

That original Igate-question was becouse it would be sometimes nice to
check remotely how system works, compare modes, power etc. But it is not
critical function for system meant to work also on power/cellular network
failure :) I can not use remote desktop for that, because of
wifi-hotspot/NAT issue.

So BIG THANKS FOLK!

Tarmo, OH6ECF