[pskmail] Re: A few reflections from a week away

  • From: Ian Bennett <ibennett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:01:17 +1000

Per,
   Sounds like you had a ball.
   I use a 7m "squid pole" using VK7JJ's design for a vertical antenna when
I'm camping. This is best known in Australia as the VK7JJ Squid Pole :-)
   For counterpoise radials, I use four, 8m self retracting metal tape
measures. They work great and take up very little room when packed and are
easy to deploy. The 8m ones work down to 80m.
   If you only go down to 40m, the 5m variants are even better as they pack
up even smaller :-)
   Just don't forget to rub off the painted surface to make good contact with
the metal tape. I forgot to do this and surprisingly enough they didn't work
too well!!!
   Anyway, we are off on another trip in July and I'm looking forward to
giving PSKMail another go.

Ian
VK1IAN