[pskmail] Re: 300 Baud Rate in the USA

  • From: David Kleber <kb3fxi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:06:01 -0800 (PST)

I think I recall seeing someone post somewhere that BPSK500 goes over the US
throughput limit, but I've never seen what appears to be a well detailed
explanation. Also, there seems to be varying opinions on how to calculate baud
rates from wpm (wpm divided by 1.2?). It's all quite confusing.

I wish we could just go to regulation by bandwidth with a separate playground
for unattended ops. The robots in any bandwidth need to have their own
allocations which makes sense for anyone on either side of the fence (whether
you hate the robots or love them).

We really need to get rid of the throughput limitation, which contradicts one
of the key reasons for our amateur radio frequency allocation which is the
advancement of the art (and technology).

BTW, BPSK500 leaves a bit to be desired unless you're on a near full quieting
path.

-Dave, KB3FXI