[proteomics] Yanıt: [proteomics] Everyone Has All The Answers, I Guess

  • From: Emin Oztas <emino55@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: proteomics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:32:23 +0200 (EET)

Dear All,
Many thanks to SMH for giving an idea to find solution
of our problems. I have learned so many thinks from
our proteomics studies. Maybe, for me, main problem is
not to discuss about our failures. For example, I have
newly learned from a paper that MALDI results sometime
dont reflect only one protein. Especially for
immunoprecipation studies there canbe seen a kind of
protein mixture. After now, I have feeling that
manuel searching with spectras one by one might help
to have the idea about protein mixture.. EBA

--- Mavi Gozler <mavigozler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I find it somewhat amazing that scientists do not
> seem to be using other scientists as sources of
> information perhaps on subjects in science in
> general and on subjects in proteomics in particular.
> At least in forums like this.
> The activity (postings) in this particular
> discussion list, as a check of the archives will
> reveal, have been solely mine.  And I have really
> not made a dent with respect to contributions in the
> field of proteomics, so what can I really have to
> say about it?  My group is just starting to get some
> things submitted now, which is amazing considering
> our particular working environment (our
> adminstrative bureaucrats) does everything it can to
> make us completely uncompetitive.
> But getting back to the subject, I really don't see
> scientists using other scientists as sources of
> information for science.
> Let me qualify that actually.
> Certainly within one's laboratory working group,
> particularly in laboratories whose professorial head
> properly insists on holding at least weekly progress
> meetings by which lab members rotate in giving
> reports/summaries/presentations of their work so
> that they might get suggestions and useful guidance
> on sticking points, there is a lot of input and
> questions-and-answers that move the science along.
> And students and/or postdocs might often find
> conversations with experienced faculty and staff in
> the department or college or institute just as
> helpful.
> But it rarely, if ever, seems to be the case that
> scientists will think to find information in a
> direct Q&A on the Internet through any forum.
> Only a few sci.* newsgroups on the Usenet have
> activity that would be considered to have a pulse.
> Although mass spectrometry is becoming more of a
> useful tool to biologists and proteomists, the
> sci.techniques.mass-spec group gets maybe 30 posts a
> month, and quite a few of those from a reseller of
> MS systems (those are helpful in my view too).
> The creation of the BITNET
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitnet) was largely an
> effort to get academic staff between universities to
> share info and ideas, and it died on the vine
> basically.
> With the exception of the one-on-one use of email
> (private messaging), it seems that academics still
> prefer the traditional non-online ways of sharing
> info and ideas, such as the intralaboratory group
> interactions, the telephone, and national and
> international science meetings/symposia.  They have
> given much less consideration to discussion lists
> (public messaging) or (Usenet) newsgroups.
> What do you do when you get stuck?
> I suppose some professors teach that when you get
> blocked going down one path, abandon it rather than
> possibly waste valuable time trying to find a way
> around the block.  Continue walking down the other
> paths you have already mapped for yourself and try
> to make progress on each one or a particularly
> [...]

Yahoo! kullaniyor musunuz?  http://tr.mail.yahoo.com
Istenmeyen postadan biktiniz mi? Istenmeyen postadan en iyi korunma
Yahoo! Posta’da