[proteomics] Re: Looking for hypoxic proteome datasets

  • From: Mavi Gozler <mavigozler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: proteomics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:44:06 -0800 (PST)

Hello Greg,

Perhaps you have seen the work by the Dutch group:

Koritzinsky et al, Renaud Seigneuric1, Michae¨l G. Magagnin,
Twan van den Beucken, Philippe Lambin, Bradly G. Wouters, Radiotherapy and
Oncology 76 (2005) 177?186.  The hypoxic proteome is influenced by
gene-specific changes in mRNA translation

Possibly your collaborator?  Anyway, the figure in that paper (Fig 1)
correlates protein expression as measured in 2-D gels with the mRNA expression
results.  There is no MS data (for protein identification or quantitative

Vorum et al (Proteomics 4: 861, 2004) cultured a continuous cell line (human
choriocarcinoma) under hypoxic conditions and looked at the proteome by 2D gels
(figs 1 and 2) and then identified a few of the proteins by MALDI-TOF MS whose
expression was altered by hypoxia (Table 2).

Fajardo et al (Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 170: 477, 2004) treat lab mice
with aerosolized ovalalbumin as a study for a model of airway lung inflammation
and then sample lung tissue for proteome analysis by 2D gels and protein ID by
MALDI-TOF MS of tryptic peptides of selected proteins.  They show an
association of the inflammatory process with an alteration of expression as
would be seen in hypoxia.

In studying the association between sleep apnea and hypertension, Thongboonkerd
et al (JBC 277: 34708, 2002) used a rat model in which they reduced O2
atmospheres to mimic apnea and monitored animal blood pressure.  Later the rats
were sacrificed and the whole kidney extracted and proteome analyzed on 2D
gels.  From the gels they look at changes in expression, excise the proteins of
interest and do protein ID using PMF on MALDI-MS.

I don't know how much any of these reports help you.  A lot depends on the
treatment conditions and the tissue sampled for its proteome.

A PubMed search using "proteome AND (hypoxic OR hypoxia)" turns up 33 results
of which maybe 5 or 6 of them are of interest or minor relevance (a few of
which I have summarized above).  Based on this I'd have to say proteomic
analysis of hypoxic conditions is a field very wide open for study and short on
reports or data yet to be obtained.

Best wishes for your success in all your scientific pursuits.

--- Greg Bowersock <bowersock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have a collaborator that wants to correlate the hypoxic proteome with
> microRNA expression profiles, and is looking for some datasets that might
> help her work. We don't currently have any mass spec datasets of this type,
> and I wanted to see if anyone out there might have some from published data
> or know of anyone we might be able to get some datasets from?
> Thanks,
> Greg Bowersock
> University of Alabama-Birmingham

Be a PS3 game guru.