[proteomics] Instaview Nitrocellulose

  • From: Mavi Gozler <mavigozler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: proteomics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 07:03:02 -0800 (PST)

Perhaps all if not most of you are familiar with reversible staining of
proteins electroblotted onto membranes (PVDF, nitrocellulose) to be
immunochemically illuminated (westerns).  Ponceau S has been around a long time
and still seems reliable.

BDH Laboratory Supplies (Poole UK) appears to offer something called "Instaview
Nitrocellulose."  The kit includes a concentrate of stain (Coomassie, I think),
"enhancer" (which actually improves contrast by removing noise [background
staining]), and a destain.

I could not find a home page for this manufacturer.  Perhaps they sell through
vendors (B2B).

I am also curious about the way scientists are illuminating their westerns
typically.  Do people use enzyme-conjugated secondary antibodies to produce
visible colored precipitates or do they prefer chemiluminescent (and if so, how
are you imaging them:  film or digicam?)

SMH

http://mail.yahoo.com