[projectaon] Re: Project Aon Contact Form: Project Aon

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ktcon117@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:09:39 +0000

ktcon117 wrote:

The following was sent from the Project Aon contact form
Subject: Project Aon

Good afternoon,
   My name is Kaity Conrad, and I am contacting you because I'm interested in
volunteering for your Project Aon. It sounds like an interesting job, and I am
a very self-motivated person and I love to read and write. I am willing to
devote a minimum of an hour a day to this project, but I'm not a busy person,
so I can probably work more than two hours a day on the project.
   If you are still looking for volunteers, please write me back. Thank you for
your time.

   Sincerely,

Hi there, Kaity

Thank you for your interest in Project Aon. We're always in need of volunteers, whether they can spare little time or lots of it. Project Aon is certainly an interesting job, especially for a person interested in words and writing.

Regarding the amount of time you are prepared to contribute--you'll find out that you won't need to spend anything like as much as an hour a day, on average. The project tends to run in cycles, with usually only two books being worked on at any one time, and weeks may pass with no work required from volunteers, except for the people doing the more technical jobs. Most volunteer time is required at two stages of the publication process: 1) once the unedited text is first made available, where volunteers are encouraged to check through the text for errors; and 2) the week before the book is getting ready for publication, known as the "Comment Period", where volunteers are encouraged to check through the book once more to catch any errors not yet fixed.

Of course, there are often other little jobs where volunteers are required, such as rechecking the published books for errors, or checking through a PDF document that is not yet published, since those tend to be treated differently for publication purposes. And there's nothing to stop a volunteer reading through a pre-release and reporting the errors they find at any stage.

If you have access to any of the Lone Wolf books 24-28, or any of Joe Dever's Combat Heroes books, and a scanner, you might also be able to help us by scanning in the original books for further work at a later time.

Currently, it is editors we are most in need of, though proofreaders (i.e. people with access to the original books) will also be required at a later stage, and proofreading occurs before editing in the Project Aon publishing process. For more information on editors, take a look at this link:

http://www.projectaon.org/sanctum/howto-edit.htm

Be advised that #3 on the list on that page is actually unnecessary: you don't need a copy of the original book to edit; that's purely for proofreading. Editors flag up any errors they see in the books, whether typographical, grammatical, or even rules-oriented issues. It is the job of the coordinator to actually fix the text, so editors have less work at PA than they would have in an actual publishing house.

If you're still interested, and we hope you are, please join the mailing list. Once you've joined, if you send an introductory E-mail to the list, someone will fill you in on what stages we're at with the various books.

And if this E-mail has come across as a bit stuffy and formal, don't worry. We're rather informal at Project Aon, but respectful, nonetheless.

Once again, thanks for your interest. We hope to hear from you soon. ;-)

(on behalf of Project Aon)