[projectaon] Re: Possible switch of web hosting provider

  • From: Jonathan Blake <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 13:09:55 -0800

On 11/4/05, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jonathan Blake wrote:

> > It's time to renew our web hosting account. I'm researching a switch
> > to dreamhost.com. The basic account has unlimited MySQL databases,
> > CVS, mailing lists, etc. A lot of the stuff we are looking for and
> > have had to piece together from various places. These features
> > (especially the databases) would enable us to develop more interesting
> > services for our readers.
> >
> > Any thoughts?

> None whatsoever. but that's because I have no understanding of the technical
> side of things. If you think it would be a good move, though, I have no
> objection to it.

It seems that you have > 0 thoughts on the issue. ;)

> I take it the SQL databases will allow things like easier
> management of the Editor Companion and automatic addition of issues to the EC,
> though my shortsighted undestanding cannot see anything past that.

That would be one of the first things I'd like to tackle with access
to a hosted database, yes. It also opens the opportunity for other
applications like game stats storage on our server.

> Mailing Lists as part of the server? Would you plan on switching the
> Aon-Announce
> again? What about the Freelists ML?

I don't think anyone's in the mood for yet another move for the
mailing list. I'm happy with things as they are in that respect.
However, we could create new, specialized lists for subprojects and a
public relations list. I don't know if anyone here feels deluged by
email that they don't care to read. I don't especially feel that way,
so we may never use this, but the option is open to those who would
find it useful.

> What about automatic downloading of updated
> files/archives?

We might be able to swing it. We'll see. With CVS hosted on our web
server, we may be able to automatically generate books on a weekly
basis or something negating the need to manually generate and upload
the books.

I found a $90 discount promo code on the web and I'm giving it a shot
(they have a 97 day money-back guarantee). I'm currently uploading our
website to their host (sans wiki). We'll see how it goes.