[projectaon] Re: Possible switch of web hosting provider

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:03:24 +0000

Jonathan Blake wrote:

Thank you for those who've stepped up and responded to the contact
form emails. It really helps me a lot.

We'll do what we can, Jon, but sometimes it requires your particular touch . . . ;-)

It's time to renew our web hosting account. I'm researching a switch
to dreamhost.com. The basic account has unlimited MySQL databases,
CVS, mailing lists, etc. A lot of the stuff we are looking for and
have had to piece together from various places. These features
(especially the databases) would enable us to develop more interesting
services for our readers.

Any thoughts?

None whatsoever. but that's because I have no understanding of the technical side of things. If you think it would be a good move, though, I have no objection to it. I take it the SQL databases will allow things like easier management of the Editor Companion and automatic addition of issues to the EC, though my shortsighted undestanding cannot see anything past that. Mailing Lists as part of the server? Would you plan on switching the Aon-Announce again? What about the Freelists ML? What about automatic downloading of updated files/archives?

More questions than answers for you, Jon. Sorry about that. :-\