[projectaon] Re: Physical

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 15:14:12 +0100

On Saturday 01 March 2008, Thomas Wolmer wrote:
> 2008/3/1, Jonathan Blake <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > Looking at the formatting on Section 14, I just realized something.
> > I don't think it's physically possible for a signpost to be 250
> > miles south of Chod and 50 miles north of Tenzha.

The signpost reads:
  North  Chod    250 miles
  West   Holona  50 miles
  South  Tenzha  20 miles

So that's 250 miles south of Chod and just 20 miles north of Tenzha. Not
that it would make much of a difference if the scale on the map was
correct.

> > http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/18dotd/sect14.htm
>
> Isn't the scale on the map of 18dotd just dead wrong? The numbers
> should be multiplied by at least 2.

Let's see. On my monitor the distance between Holona and Tenzha is 1.3
cm (if you prefer inch, then mentally replace cm by inch and wonder how
large my monitor is ;-) ) and the distance between Tenzha and Chod is
3.2 cm.

According to the signpost the distance between Holona and Tenzha is at
most 70 miles. So 1.3 cm (beeline) on the map correspond to 70 or less
miles. This means 3.2 cm (beeline) corresponds to 172.3 (~= 3.2/1.3x70)
or less miles. So unless the road to Chod is extremely twisty (which
does not seem to be the case given that the road follows the river) it
is indeed very unlikely that the distance between Tenzha and Chod is
about 270 miles.

Given my analysis the signpost should probably read
  North  Chod    150 miles
  West   Holona  50 miles
  South  Tenzha  20 miles

Using those distances I've tried to determine a possible location of the
signpost by drawing a few circles around the three cities and enlarging
them by the same factor until they (almost) intersected in a single
point. The result can be seen in the attached image.

Regards,
Ingo